Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was suspended from work for unauthorized use of a computer…

I was suspended from...

I was suspended from work for unauthorized use of a computer and was told that if the investigation show I was not on any unauthorized site I would go back to the same job, now the investigation is over and the found me to have done nothing wrong but offered me another position at $2.00 less an hour. I refused the position and have not heard back from them. what are my options ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the suspension with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes the manger emails but does not want to answer any thing , HR talks to her but I have no luch getting anyone to call me ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I guess at will ?

3/22/2018
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

What state are you located in?

north carolina

Thank you for that information.

Answer: Unfortunately, North Carolina is an at‑will employment state. That means that either you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The limitation is that employers cannot terminate an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation for exercising an employee's legal right.

In your situation, this means that an employer can change the terms of your employment, including changing your role and your pay, without prior notice and for any or no reason at all.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but hope this will not affect your rating of my service.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi

Thank you so much for the 4‑star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert‑royhadavi/ Or, simply request ARoy [email protected] in the first line of your question.