Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I need to talk to an attorney about a potential age related…

I need to talk...

I need to talk to an attorney about a potential age related employment termination. I live in Scottsdal AZ

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

With my manager and HR this morning

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I don't beloing to a union, and I'm not sure about at will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am 65, have worked at my company for 38 years, have a history of success

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about this age discrimination. What specifically is your question for me, please? I very much look forward to assisting you on this matter.

I'm 65 years old with 38 years service for my employer. I was told today that I am affected by a RIF that impacts ~1% of the people in my company. I am wondering if I should sign the separation agreement or seek legal representation to try to improve the separation benefits
The separation benefits offered are 12 weeks severance, 12 weeks subsidized Cobra

Thank you. Do you have any reason to believe that you are being included in the layoff because of how old you are? If so, what makes you believe that (i.e. derogatory comments about your age, or a disproportionate number of older employees included in the layoff).

Patrick, Esq.
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
I have no concrete evidence of age discrimination, but there seems to be a pattern that has emerged this year to drive me out. I've gotten stock options each of the last 8 years and didn't receive one for 2017, despite exceeding my objectives. I was given an unreasonable objective for 2018 that is unattainable.

Thank you. It seems another attorney has accepted your phone call request. Should you have any further questions after speaking to the other attorney via telephone, please feel free to followup here. Alternatively, if you would like to simply proceed here, through this written format instead of a phone call, just let me know.