Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Mine is sort of. A year ago I broke my foot at work. I was…

Customer Question
Mine is sort of...

Mine is sort of long. A year ago I broke my foot at work. I was bullied into not claiming workmens comp. I finally had to go over my supervisors' heads and claim wormmens comp because it wouldn't get will because I couldn't get to my office without putting weight on it. Then I turned them into ADA because there was not proper access from my car to the handicapped ramp. They started taking job duties away from me. (i was doing a great job) Then I got written for a scratch that I didn't report. I disputed the write up because I wasn't hurt. I said in my dispute that if they were deciding to play by the rules, why was it ok for male employees to use the F word in meeting that I was in. Then I was bullied by the environmental/regulations lady asking me if I had a problem. I backed down. For fear of losing my job. I started seeing a psychiatrist and continued seeing him until this past fall. But back to the job. They continued to take duties away from and exclude me from every aspect of the business. Then, in August, they let me go. They gave me a few weeks severance and made me sign a paper saying I would never apply there again or have no contact with anyone there. I didn't do anything inappropriate to anyone. I just broke my foot and was bullied. All of this has given me major anxiety and depression which is making it almost impossible for me to get or keep a job.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the injury with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not a lawyer. It was a year ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't guess so. I did work for three months at another job in the fall but couldn't concentrate so was let go. I STILL cry all the time

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/23/2018
Employment Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 1 month ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Without a written employment contract requiring cause for demotion or termination, you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation, schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.

The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible, to visit the nearest office and file a complaint.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as office politics and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 29 days ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer