Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I guit my job from the 22 of February that was my last day…

Customer Question
Hello I guit my...

Hello I guit my job from the 22 of February that was my last day at work so I thought my last pay check was the 8 of March now I see a small amount from my work place but I don't know why can u help me out to understand what's going on and I didn't have any vocation days to get pay for

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this wage-and-hour issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No I didn't discuss with any one

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No there's no union there

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/22/2018
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What do you mean by "I see a small amount from my work place but I don't know why"? Are you saying they paid extra, or they took deductions they weren't supposed to? What does the paycheck stub say about the amount being paid.

OK it comes in like the regular pay check but it's the full payment but I thought my last pay check would have been the 8 of march

Many states require a last paycheck to be paid sooner. Where do you live?

Or is this something you just got?

OK I live in Chicago
Illinois

Illinois law says they have to pay you in full at the time of termination in possible, or the next scheduled payday if not. It's not always possible to pay immediately when a person quits unless they give notice.

That paycheck is probably for work done the week of February 22. It depends on how they calculate pay periods, but if the cutoff for the March 8 check had already passed, then March 22 is the next scheduled pay day after that.

OK I get it thanks

You're welcome. Have a good day.

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Thank you.

Why do I see a charge of $33 on my account from you different from the $5???

Please contact customer service. Experts require payment for their time. The $5 is only a deposit.