Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I know that there are time limits to file a complaint

I know that there...

I know that there are time limits to file a complaint against an individual or corporation for damages but if you're not capable of making the proper decision because of the damages that you have occurred as a result of their actions, can certain statues of limitations be waved?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are they in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I worked in both Pennsylvania and West Virginia but the corporate headquarters are in Pennsylvania.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?

I've been fired because I believe and I can provide proof that the union and companyconspired to uphold my discharge.. The lady at the EEOC told me that they wrre wrong to do that by both Fedrral and state statueds.. But the staturs of limitations expired..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The damages thatI was entitled to are workme's compensation but their actions towards me caused me extensive mental aniety and depression that caused me to be incapable of making the proper decision at the proper times to make a claim for damages from both the companies and the union and the Westmoreland county parole and probation office and the office f common pleas..

3/22/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Title 42, Pennsylvania Code, Section 5533 specifically states that insanity cannot be used to extend the statute of limitations. I'm afraid that, by extension, a person who has a mental illness or disability not rising to the level of insanity would also not be able to extend the statutory period. The only way for an adult to extend the statute is if you could not have known of your injury at the time it occurred, or if they used fraud to hide the injuries. That unfortunately doesn't apply in situations where a person is physically or mentally injured, because you necessarily would know about the the injury at the time.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Thank you.

Good luck.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer