Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a friend who was told to sign a letter or resignation…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend who was told to sign a letter or resignation due to "my being unhappy in working at the location" which was a non-profit women's shelter. I did refuse to sign the resignation letter and I have been out of work ever since. I live in AZ. I need help. What are my options.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not with a manager or HR as they were also involved in this "resignation letter" scheme. It also involves three other individuals all at around the same time. This was around December 2017. No lawyer as of yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union....at will if that involves or how non-profit women's shelter may be considered.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much is this service going cost me? My colleague who is going through is on the other line in my ear and I am asking on her behalf.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Management got involved with me because my friend asked to file for a grievance 3 separate times, against a colleague who turned against her for something that involved this colleague and her personal situation. My friend documented what happened involving this colleague and personal matters. Although said documentation is on her computer at work, she has been unable to retrieve any and all information. My understanding to date is that the colleague has gone onto that computer and has erased the file to hide her situation from all concerned as far as my friend is aware of. Therefore, no hard copies or hard drive is available.
3/22/2018
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your post, however, I am unclear about what your legal question is. Can you please tell me? Also, were you terminated and if so, what did the employer say the specific reason was? What lead to the employer's request for you to submit a resignation letter? What did you say or do that lead to that?

Here is my friend’s response to your question.My office mate asked me to take her to get an abortion. I took her to her first appointment and right before her second appointment she got very irate and took it out on me calling me a f****** b****. Etc. I said find your own way down to Phoenix for your abortion. She then started bullying me, kicking my therapy dog, saying derogatory things under her breath. I asked to file a grievance with the executive director and she did nothing. I asked for my own office for privacy. She did nothing. I asked our director of operations to help me file a grievance. I asked her if she wanted me to resign. She did not answer me and asked me to leave and go back to my office.Approximately two weeks later I was called into a meeting room a letter was slid over to me and they demanded that I sign it. I asked what it was and they said it was my letter of resignation because “I was not happy!” I said I would be happy if I had my own office like I've been asking for months they said they could not do that.
I told them I'm not signing anything and I'm not resigning. They then escorted me out of the building took my keys and told me goodbye that I was terminated. The executive director I believe was threatened by my office mate that she either fire me or that my office mate would quit. Nobody else but my office mate knew our staticians reports which we use for grants. Our executive director was crying hysterically as she was telling me I was terminated.What will she need to do as this all happened around September 2017, she worked for a non-profit women’s shelter, no union and got no help in filing for grievance.
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 3 months ago

I am no longer available to take this question, so I am opting out and will open it for the other Experts to answer. Someone will let you know when they have an answer for you.