Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a employee that has worked for me just over 20 years…

Customer Question
I have a employee...

I have a employee that has worked for me just over 20 years am I in any way responsible for giving him a severance package when he quits if so how much or percentage .

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does the employee belong to a union?

Yes . Does not belong to union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh no I don't think I thought you could give me answer on my question on chat line

Lawyer's Assistant: I apologize.

Ok he or her can phone me at 306-483 -8988

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/21/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

There is never any legal obligation to give severance to an employee when they quit. The only circumstances in which severance is required by law is in circumstances of "mass layoffs" at large companies with less than 60 days notice. Otherwise, unless you have a contract in which you expressly promised to pay severance, there is no obligation whatsoever.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.