Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

You were helpful for my question about wage parity in

Hello, You were helpful for...
Hello, You were helpful for my question about wage parity in February. I have a new question about discrimination. In January, a new job opportunity was announced at a team meeting for a position at our affiliate in London, England. I wanted to apply and I contacted my manager, as instructed. The manager acknowledged my request, but there was no further response. I circled back last week and still heard nothing. The position was not posted on the company job web page. I checked with HR last week and they put me in touch with the person that works with recruiting for the London division. I have a meeting with my manager today, and I requested that we discuss this issue and my request for them to check my pay equity. What can I do if I don't hear anything back? I am a 64 year old woman, and I've been with the company 20 years and in this IT department for 11 years. I am qualified for the London position and I am a UK born national. I heard a rumor that a contractor that was let go in December was already interviewing for this position. I think the department management just didn't want me to be considered for this position.
3/21/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In order for you to have a case of discrimination you need to prove the only reason your company or manager would be doing this is your age or your gender (or maybe disability/national origin/race). You need to have more to show than just you are 64 or a female. You have to be able to link your age or gender to the denial of the job.

Without such evidence, the employment is at will and that means that your employer can hire whoever they want for any position. If they let go a contractor and are considering the contractor for that position, it would be difficult to prove your discrimination claim without more evidence.

If you do have more evidence about you being treated differently based on gender/age, you can argue the wage inequity is part of the evidence that you are being discriminated against, you need to contact the EEOC and you need to file your complaint with them AND with the US Department of Labor as they should have resolved the wage issue by now as well.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.