Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have worked for the VA health care system for 6 years. I…

Customer Question
Good morning , I...

Good morning , I have worked for the VA health care system for 6 years. I am service connected Veteran with heart issues. I have been bullied for the last year by my supervisor, to the point that my fellow colleagues have submitted emails and complaints to my supervisors superiors. I have went to the union and had a meeting scheduled yesterday, where the union stated they were going to file a ULP. The union failed to show for the meeting and now Employee and Labor Relations is saying that if the union does not show for the rescheduled meeting 3/29/2018, it will still take place even if I do not have representation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this scheduling issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

HR is who is representing my supervisor, they are the ones stating the meeting will happen with or without my representation present. I have not contacted a lawer lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

The union is an open shop, they ar required to represent you even if you are not a member

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This has gotten to the point of me not even wanting to go to work. I have had to take leave without pay numerous times just to keep out of the hospital because of the aggravation to my service connected heart condition

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/21/2018
Employment Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 5 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I can wait
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

Have you contacted the Union and asked why they missed the first meeting?

Have you told the Union that they must send a representative to the rescheduled meeting and that you have been informed by HR that even if the Union does not show up again that the meeting would proceed as rescheduled and that you cannot afford to be there without representation?

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

I guess the specific question would be; can I sue the VA for their allowing this type of behavior (bullying, Harassment) to continue. I had a phone meeting with employee relations and the union three months ago about this situation ad nothing has been done. The result of that meeting was actually and increase in the amount of bullying, condescending attitude and demeaning behavior from my supervisor. I informed the union that this is a hostile work environment and it has been greatly affecting my attendance and health. The union asked if they could join the meeting by phone and I requested they support mr in person. after the first no-show by the union, the representative for my supervisor stated that if the union does not show for the second meeting it will take place anyway. I informed them that is not the case and that I will have representation anytime I meet with them. numerous things are taking place that are contributing to the hostile work environment; supervisor not responding to me about leave, the changing of FMLA LWOP to straight LWOP, false accusations about job performance, denial of SL, verbal hostility, passive aggressive behaviors, taunting and requesting things from me that are not requested of anyone else i.e.., Dr. appointment slips, where I am going during the day when i meet with community stakeholders and verification I went there, to name a few. The VA is failing miserably by not following up and addressing this, in fact they have yet to address any of the complaints even though my colleagues have submitted emails concerning the gross nature of my supervisors actions.Brett

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.