Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I need some advice on a work related issue, Florida. There…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** need some advice on a work related issue,

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

There has been some allegations / accusations against me that are not fully true that I do not agree with. I was presented a document today that HR wanted me to sign. I am a manager and I'm recently I had to write up an employee and the write-up was justified and was approved by my director. I believe that these accusations have come from her and that she is retaliating because of the right of she made it very clear that she did not agree with it. I have not signed the document I asked HR to give me until tomorrow when I ask them about times and dates of the accusations that were brought against me they could not give me any they stated that if they did that then I could retaliate because then I would know who the employees are

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Good evening and welcome. I am very sorry to hear about this situation. What specifically is your question for me, please?

If there is a document presented to me with accusations that an employee has made against me with no examples know exact times and events of these accusations and I know that these things did not happen should I be signing this document. This is a document that was presented to me by HR it states in the document that if any more accusations are brought to them against me from this employee that I can be terminated immediately. I've been with this company for 11 years I am a nurse manager I believe this is a form of retaliation this employee was written up 3 weeks ago she has been with me for 5 years and has never had a complaint against me right now my job is in Jeopardy because of this person

Thank you for your reply.

As a general rule, employment in Florida is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Unfortunately, this means you can be terminated regardless of whether the allegations are true. That said, an employer gains nothing by terminating employees without a good reason, so employers usually tend to be reason when it comes to these sort of things.

Signing the sort of "notice" you describe generally just serves to acknowledge your receipt of the notice, it does not mean you are "agreeing" with what it says. To make this even more clear, you can print the words "signed only to acknowledge receipt" below your name. In generally, it is a bad idea to refuse to sign all together, as this could be regarded as insubordination and itself serve as grounds for termination.

Ultimately, this is a situation in which the law does not provide much protection. Your only real power here is the power of persuasion, which means doing whatever you can to convince your employer that the allegations made against you false.

I hope this helps. If there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know. It's my pleasure...