Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can my employer create a dress code that only targets women?

Can my employer create...

Can my employer create a dress code that only targets women? For example, every one at my work has to wear shorts and a shirt, but women have to wear a uniform set of shorts, while men can wear whatever they want. Is that legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I have brought this problem up with management. Nothing has been done about it. I was mostly wondering if I have legal grounds to not comply with this rule.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not belong to a union

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
No. That would evidence disparate treatment and potential gender discrimination and a hostile environment. Sexual harassment tends to follow from such policies.It can be contested by employee or counsel.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Are there legal steps I can take to stop this policy?
Contest internally. Normally sufficient without need to report to the labor board.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Ok, thank you for your help.
Very welcome. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer