Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question about unemployment eligibility in

I have a question...

I have a question about unemployment eligibility in Colorado. I have a friend who was terminated for poor performance following a failed performance improvement plan. He has been increasingly forgetful and believes memory issues are the reason for his poor performance. He is in the process of seeing a doctor and having tests for the memory issues.
He is applying for unemployment and gave all the facts as we now know in the initial claim. He is available for work and looking for work. The unemployment office sent a request for more information about the medical conditions -- diagnosis, medications, limitations, and so on. How should we proceed with responding to the request? The official reason for termination from his employer was inadequate performance, and they're sending suggestions for other jobs he could do. Thanks!

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this unemployment issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

We've discussed it with HR at his former workplace, and with his manager's manager. Not yet with a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes, and no for the second question.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Are you asking if he may apply for benefits?
Actually, he's already applied for benefits. The question is how to address the request from the Colorado Division of Labor and Employment for more information about the medical conditions. He doesn't really have much hard information yet about the medical conditions, since he started the process of getting examined, tested, and diagnosed six weeks ago.
I tried using the phone call option, but it didn't recognize my credit card number.
I logged out of the site accidentally and logged back in just now.
He can provide what he has and consider a letter from a doctor confirming general condition and treatment.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
OK -- we can do that. We have a letter from a doctor already. Thank you!
Very welcome. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer