Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have decided to close one of my stores last minute. By law…

I have decided to close...
I have decided to close one of my stores last minute. By law do I have to pay severence?? Georgia
To my employees. They are asking for it but i’m pretty certain I don’t have to pay that.
I had 3 employees.
3/20/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There is a federal law that requires employers with 100 or more employees to give either 60 days notice of mass layoffs or a plant closing affecting 50 or more people. That's not going to apply to closing a store with 3 employees, and there is no similar state or federal law that applies to small employers. So, no, you're not required to pay severance. There is nothing in the law that requires severance pay outside a contract or handbook that promises it.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
thanks so much!!!