Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am looking for a "wrongful termination" lawyer in central…

Customer Question
I am looking for...

I am looking for a "wrongful termination" lawyer in central Iowa. Due to the method of being fired from my job on 11/19/15 I have been diagnosed with PTSD, I am on 3 different depression meds plus blood pressure medicine & I am taking counseling due to suicide thoughts. I am unable to apply for an office job due to anxiety & fear of the firing methods. I worked at Caseys for approximately 2 years in the kitchen & then as 1st assistant for the past couple of months. I am currently unemployed again. My counselor thinks it was a "self destruction" act on my part. I am 62 years old, probably going to be divorced soon because my marriage has slided downhill since 11/19/15 due to my husband blaming for losing my jobs. I do have a lot of documentation as to how the firing happened. I am being told feel that I am totally worthless & stupid stemming back to 2015. I also still have nightmares and thoughts as though the firing happened yesterday. Thank you for any help you may give me. This is my last hope to finally maybe get past this. I am extremely upset and still hurt (I was employed with them for 6 years) with this large company due to their methods and they totally destroyed my self worth. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

The company has fired the HR rep that fired me. And I am having trouble finding a lawyer due to the time that has passed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I am an "at will" employee & I do not belong to a union. I have been told that several of the other employees of this company that were fired in the same manner which was the most humiliating thing I have ever experienced have also sued them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

During my employment with this company, I worked very hard, hardly missed a day, worked overtime when asked, never received any kind of reprimand from any of my directors, always received above the cap for raises, reviews were always very good and my personal director did not have the courage to be with me in the firing and sent another director from a different department. I was told the firing was due to "giving my daughter a green bean casserole recipe, a dead deer on the interstate & working too much overtime"

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/21/2018
Employment Lawyer: Wendy, Moderator replied 3 months ago
Wendy
Wendy, Moderator
I'm a moderator for this website. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Wendy
I would like to continue. I need an answer as to whether it is possible to sue & a lawyer that could help me. Thank you
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok, I had a chance to review your situation; however, I'm a little unsure of what your specific question is. Could you help me understand what specific questions you had for me regarding this?

Do I have grounds to sue my former employer due to a few of the facts that I have provided?

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I have dealt with some terrible co-workers, managers, and subordinates in my time. It’s one of the reasons I decided to become self-employed is because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Nonetheless, it’s important to analyze the law in this situation. Harassment/retaliation/discrimination is against the law; however, employment law only makes it against the law if the basis of these actions by the employer are based on your race, gender, age, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, or disability. Employment law doesn’t necessarily cover people who act like jerks. In some states, contract law may help if an employer doesn’t act in good faith. Under the Uniform Commercial Code, any party to any agreement (including employment agreements) has to act in good faith with one another. The failure to do so could be a breach of contract. It’s one of the possible legal solutions, but not always the most practical one.

There are some other things that I could recommend to you to help you deal with this problem now and not just in the courtroom based on my experience in working with thousands of people who have had the same issue. Generally, I recommend that you keep documentation of everything that happened. The frequency, duration, and intensity are going to be important and it’ll make it difficult for them to deny this if you confront them. In addition, you should strongly consider what your employer says about this behavior. With the right documentation and some back up in the employee handbook or policy, it could help you solve this right away. You may want to consider having the people who are willing sign an affidavit (a sworn statement) describing what they saw and heard. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good templates (click here). I also recommend building a support network and getting people involved in the situation who may be advocates for you. They may have practical tips or ideas specific to your industry, your organization, or even your team that could be much more helpful than anything the law could provide. Although you aren't working there any more, this will help you considerably and will probably help with the anxiety and fear you may be experiencing.

The one thing that you could do is keep a lawsuit in your back pocket. What I mean by this is if the issues continue, then you may want to consider a lawsuit for intentional infliction of emotional distress. IIED means that if someone is intentionally causing severe emotional distress in another, then you may be able to recover for the damages that occurred (e.g. therapist bills, lost wages, medications, etc.). You would have to prove that you suffered damages, but employees have used this tactic when employers have done the same things yours has.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?