Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Not yet. At will, hourly

Not yet Lawyer's Assistant:...

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will, hourly

Working in Virginia at a medical transport company as an EMT. We transport patients to and from hospitals and doctors appointments. After every transport, an EPCR (Electronic Personal Care Report) is filed by the EMT to document details of the transport. Management changed EPCR systems overnight with no training on new system, and no oversight of reports filed for over a month. As a result, many EPCRs were digitally lost. Management blames the EMTs and threatens to withhold paychecks until the EPCRs are recreated and submitted again. As team leader, I watch management pull paychecks from stack of EMTs who have outstanding EPCRs. I ask them to wait another week before holding paychecks. They do, and EMTs submit all EPCRs by deadline. Is it legal to withhold pay in these instances? Is it legal to THREATEN to do so?
An EPCR must be completed and signed for management to submit it to the patients insurance for billing, to be reimbursed for the transport.
3/20/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

An employer can NEVER withhold earned wages to get what it wants. The mere threat probably does not violate the law, though. The employer would need to actually follow through.

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know. It's my pleasure...

Patrick, Esq.