Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Just had a consultation with an employee who received a

Customer Question
Hi, just had a...

Hi, just had a consultation with an employee who received a final written warning - unauthorised absence (followed correct procedure), and we just found out that the employee was recording the session without our knowledge or permission. What is our rights in terms of this (RICA)?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

HR Manager and Direct Line Manager was present in the meeting with employee. I was just notified now that the session was recorded. I know in terms of RICA, consent needs to be given when recordings are made of meetings, just want to get my facts straight and if a situation like this falls outside of the act>

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Please advise "at will"? We are not union regulated

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Please advise how your services work, I was doing research online and thought it will be worth my while to try the direct communication channel...

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/20/2018
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
The recording is improper without notice. You may note it and take disciplinary action on this basis.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please advise what disciplinary action we can take?

Further reprimand, suspension, write up, termination.

If my reply is acceptable, please reply "yes"

Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Tina, Lawyer