Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work at a bar and we get tips. My employer is making us…

I work at a...

I work at a bar and we get tips. My employer is making us write down all of our cash and credit cards tips every night and that At the end of the week he take 10% to give to our cleaning man. I guy that come to sweep mop and clean bathrooms..on top of his pay. Is this legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

My manager disagrees with this but the owner has a "my way or no way" attitude about it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Nope. No union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We didn't agree to thing being taken out of our checks. Nog we Not written consent

3/20/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, a tip is sole property of the employee. If you are not pooling tips, then the employer has no say on dividing tips with non-tipped employees. You need to file a complaint with the state department of labor regarding him mistreating tips and they will come in and not only sanction the employer but will make them repay the employees up to triple the amount they took from the employees.

So, you need to file your complaint with the Department of Labor Wage and Hour division and if the employer retaliates, then you have grounds to sue the employer for that retaliation.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much. I knew if was wrong and we will get a lawyer.

Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney