Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am independent contractor working in the church gut hurt…

Customer Question
I am independent contractor...

I am independent contractor working in the church gut hurt with a milder saw I don't have workman's comp can I file against church insurance some work I get paid for and some is volunteer work

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the injury with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No the church don't have HR the priest suggested to file under church insurance

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No iam an independent contractor I am doing painting work

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had to have 2 surgerieson my arm

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/20/2018
Employment Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am working on a response to your question and should have that to you shortly.

The answer to this question will likely depend on who owns the saw. Since it was this equipment and not the actual church premises that caused your injury, it would be unlikely for any insurance the church has covering its property and liability would extend to injuries caused by use of that equipment, unless the church owned and provided the saw to you for your use. In addition, in most states the liability of religious non-profit organizations, like churches, is limited.

That said, it may worth asking the church if, based on some of your work being volunteer and your support of the church, it would consider contributing to your medical expenses and/or filing a claim with the church's insurance to be sure that there is not some provision in that policy that provides coverage.

I wish I had better news for you but do hope this information is helpful. I also am so sorry for your injury and hope it heals quickly and no further surgeries are necessary.

If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is ​for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

And, one correction, I did see that the priest suggested filing under the church insurance. That is certainly worth a try.