Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My dad had me listed as 100% joint survivor on his NYC

Customer Question
Hi. My dad had...

Hi. My dad had me listed as 100% joint survivor on his NYC pension. Upon finalizing his pension after retirement, it is now maximum allowance option unbeknownst to me and my dad(he claims not to understand what happens when he finalized it) it’s been 75 days... can this be put back?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I called the customer service of the pension organization and they said once finalized it cannot be changed. It seemed like a passive statement as if this was done in error l believe something should be able to be fixed

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

My dad belonged to a union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I think that’s it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
If there was a change without his knowledge that must be reversed.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
What if he made the choice without knowing the ramifications. We went a year earlier to set it up (on his request). I didn’t even know I could be a beneficiary. I think when he finalized it... he went with the higher payout but when we spoke he told me he didn’t know he changed anything
Is there a limitation to make the change?
If he made the change it would normally be enforced unless he did so under duress or fraud.
If he did it in error, is there precedent to change it in your experience?
Due to lack of understanding
based on mistake and amending to adjust to his intentions.If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!