Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

How do I file a discrimination complaint against an

Customer Question
How do I file...

How do I file a discrimination complaint against an employer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discrimination issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I discuss it with the COO of the company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will, hourly.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I emailed a copy of my intermittent FMLA approval to my manager today and I told him in an email that I felt like he was treating me unfairly and I was called in a meeting and terminated for what he called inappropriate behavior because I sent him a complaint via email.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/20/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

You need to contact the Department of Labor, the federal level. They are the entity that investigates FMLA discrimination. Here, the employer directly engaged in retaliation after you made a complaint about what you perceived to be differing treatment based on your FMLA use. That is a text book example of retaliation after a person makes a protected complaint.

Before you can sue, you actually have to go through the DOL process, so it is your first step regardless of how this turns out.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer