Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have an employee who has just resigned. He had a

Customer Question
I have an employee...

I have an employee who has just resigned. He had a non-compete but it may have been lost in our computer crash 2 years ago. The employee has asked for a copy of it. He obviously does not have it . Also a perspective new employer has asked for a copy of it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the non-compete agreement with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

A week before he quit we changed his compensation. He was a highly paid sales person in the staffing industry who hasn't made a sale in over a year. After carrying him for a year I left his base salary intact but cancelled his commissions he was earning but doing nothing for. I had hired someone to make all the placements for him as well as do his reports to his client. All he did was show up once a week and "smooze" the client. I told him his new job would be doing direct placement of professional. He was told he could make more money doing this in a lot less time. He left on Friday night in a good mood and came in Monday morning and quit. The interesting thing was his office was always in a pig stye. After he left we checked his office and is obviously had been purged. He had not done it Friday night and was only in the office for about 5 minutes on Monday. I am afraid he cam in over the weekend. There was so much on his desk it is hard to tell if he took anything. His drawers were for the most part empty.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does he belong to a union?

What are my options. I am not trying to stop him from earning a living, but I don't want him to try to take away all our clients. He had been with us for 5 1/2 years. I just want him to stay away from my clients and not reveal any information on how we conduct our business etc. Help

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well that is it in a nut shell. I suppose he will have question of his own.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/19/2018
Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

In which State jurisdiction did the former employee work?