Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I just started working for Halliburton in Odessa, TX. I've…

I just started working for...
I just started working for Halliburton in Odessa, TX. I've been here less than a week. I am from Dallas. My concern is that I just go a request from another division of the same company to interview. This division is just about 45 minutes or less from my home. Being here in Odessa will take me away from for 2 weeks at a time. The other caveat is that the Odessa job is hourly while the Dallas job is salary. I would much rather go home every night rather than every 2 weeks. I need some ideas as to how to approach this. What do I tell them, both sides? Any ideas would be appreciated. I would like to interview for the Dallas job. I am well qualified. I just don't want the current team to think that I'm ungreatful. Plus I am hoping there is no policy that says I must stay in current position for 6 months to a week...hope not since I've only been here a week.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just wanted to add the following....The Dallas division wants to interview me this week if possible.
3/19/2018
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Lawyer

Hello: my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. From your post, it seems you have some great opportunities ahead. Did you sign an employment agreement or have you seen anything by way of policies with your job in Odessa that says you have to be there a specific period of time to transfer. This would be unusual and I thought I would check since you put it in your post.

With that said, and assuming you don't have a contract or policy stating no transfers at this time, I would suggest you put in for the transfer to the Dallas job. It is the same company that just hired you which should assist you with getting the position and most times large companies like Halliburton transfer people fairly commonly and I would not think would have an issue with your interviewing for the Dallas job. I would let Odessa know what you are planning to do and get any input or concerns they may have before you put in for the Dallas interview if possible, that way you can always back out before getting in too deep with the Dallas position. However, if that is what you really want then I would go after it no matter what Odessa says and if Dallas wants the interview this week do it and apologize to Odessa if you need to later if you don't get the Dallas job. Best of luck, and let me know if you have any follow up and I am glad to assist any way that I can.

LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Lawyer
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Lawyer