Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am representing the employer. If our employees underpaid…

Hello. I am...

Hello. I am representing the employer. If our employees underpaid for a benefit in 2017, how long do we have to recoup the underpayment, in Michigan?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

I am the HR staff, and I spoke to a lawyer, however he wasn't positive.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does the employee belong to a union?

Yes, it is an employee "at will" and the employee does belong to a union.

3/20/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Ok, no problem.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your question.

What did you mean by the "employees underpaid for a benefit 2017?"

Kindly provide additional information.

Thank you for your cooperation.

We charged the employees an amount for their optional long term disability that was too low. We caught our mistake by November 2017. If the employees wanted to continue the LTD that was fine. We would then collect the balance of their underpayment. How long do we have to recoup the underpayment in Michigan?

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Response: Unfortunately, there is no time limit. You have to continue to take the deductions from the employees' pay until you have recovered the "underpayments."

My response assumes that you have written consent of the employees for the deductions.

Best wishes,

Thank you.

You are quite Welcome!

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law