Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I live in NY and borrowed some money from a friend a few…

Customer Question
I live in NY and...
I live in NY and borrowed some money from a friend a few months ago. She and I had a verbal agreement for me to repay a minimum of $50 a month on the 1st of each month. This past month I forgot to pay and instead of calling me, etc. I get a letter from her stating I have to pay at least $100 each month on either the 5th or the 15th. That is fine as I forgot to pay. So I elected to pay on the 15th. However, a co-worker of mine called me to inform me the person I borrowed money from is going around saying she is taking me to court for not paying her. Is there anything I can do to get her to stop talking to others about it since I have actually paid her thus far?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/19/2018
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You can send her an e-mail or letter advising her you are paying her back, and the arrangement is private, and to share information with others, especially where false, is defamatory and must cease.

If my reply is acceptable, please respond "acceptable"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your quick response! Just a quick question. Could her talking to others about it still be defamation since I did in fact borrow money from her?

If she claim you owe more than you do, yes.

Kindly rate me 5 stars on your page.

Infolawyer, Lawyer