Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is there a law in Massachussett stating that employers have…

Customer Question
Is there a law...

Is there a law in Massachussett stating that employers have a time period to notify employees what their weekly work schedule is? And how much time is it and where can I have access to this information?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this scheduling issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

With my suprtvisor and his boss

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Houry and nonunion

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Both my supervisor and his boss claim that they don't get the information for scheduling until a day or 2 before they put ou the schedule,

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/19/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Regrettably, your employer is correct here. They don't have to let you know, under either state or federal law, until the day that they need you to work.

This is simply not something addressed in the law, and as such, employers have free reign on scheduling.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.