Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated Thursday March 15, 2018 for harassment. I…

Customer Question
I was terminated Thursday...

I was terminated Thursday March 15, 2018 for sexual harassment. I have ready everything under the EEOC and I am in the paragraph position on this. I guess I need you to ask me the right questions and then I need to know the best way to proceed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this harassment issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I have not I don't want HR to know that I am going to pursue this. I have been terminate. I will say that my boss called me today and told me it was a bunch of crap and she cannot believe a company would do that based on the situation

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union the state of NH is an 'at will" state I know I an be terminated for no reason based on "at will" however they gave me a reason and it was not just

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this a lawyer based with the a state, government office

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/19/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

When given a reason for a termination that you do not believe or is not just, that alone is not illegal in employment law. However, it can be what we call a "pretext" for illegal discrimination. Certainly, when an employer engages in a discriminatory action, they rarely state as much outright. They will give an excuse for their action, disguised as a legitimate reason for termination.

If you feel that your termination was gender related, you need to first contact the EEOC in your state and actually have them conduct an investigation on your behalf. You don't have to have proof to go the EEOC, because they are not a court or adjudicator. They are investigators, tasked by the Federal government to review allegations of discrimination to find that evidence that you suspect but don't have.

So, you should explain to the EEOC that you were terminated, you believe it was gender based, why you believe that and then explain why the reason given for your termination was false or unjust.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.