Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My boss just denied a request I made and is sighting

Customer Question
Hi So my boss...

Hi So my boss just denied a request I made and is sighting whistleblowers who say I am toxic to the workplace

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

He is saying that my peers have filed complaints saying in general I am toxic but is not disclosing who

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Or how

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am at will

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/19/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Regrettably, in an "at will" employment situation, the employer doesn't have to reveal those that have complained. Unlike criminal law situations, where you have a right to confront your accusers, you don't have the right to confront accusers in an employment law situation. The employer can make decisions based on those allegations, up to and including termination, and they don't have to give you any sort of hearing.

Now, if you have some reason to believe that the employer is making an excuse here and is really denying your request based on race, religion, gender, age or disability, you should file a complaint with the EEOC in your state so that the matter can be investigated.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer