Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We have an employee that is finishing up at the end of this…

Hello we have an...

Hello we have an employee that is finishing up at the end of this month

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

I have been thrown is hr

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does the employee belong to a union?

He resigned and gave his finish date as April 8 My question is do I pay him for the full 20 vacation days

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Or do I prorate it from July 1, 2017 until now

3/19/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. If you can let me know what state you are located in I can more fully answer your question. Also, do you have a written policy about how vacation days are earned/accrued and whether an employee will be paid for them upon leaving the company?

I am not in the US. I just thought that you would be able to answer a general question for me

I do apologize, I missed the fact that you were in Bermuda. I am going to opt-out and let another of my colleagues, who can provide a response based on Bermuda law, respond to your question.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the laws in Bermuda, upon termination of employment, the employee must be paid all wages due and for any ACCRUED but unused vacation time. So if he has accrued 20 days vacation already, he must be paid for that upon separation.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you for your time it is appreciated and I did get an answer locally

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry for that delay, it is not the expert's fault.