Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My ex-employer, did not pay me for all the hours i have

Customer Question
My ex-employer, did not...

My ex-employer, did not pay me for all the hours i have worked. I did bring it to their attention. They said they will look it into it. I have since be let go from their employment. I have not received any word on teh missing hours worked.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I directed my issue to the GM, and to one of the co-owners of the enterprise

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Minnesota is an at will employment state. I do not belong to a union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I also have a few concerns about overtime.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am very sorry to hear about all this. Do you believe you were let go BECAUSE you complained about not being paid? Also, what specifically is your question here? How can I assist you?

I do not believe i was let go because of not getting the correct payment.
My question is, how do I go about getting my correct pay. I was suppose to be a salaried employee, paid for hours worked only. no over time. Also, I never signed a contract.

Thank you. The first step would be to submit a written demand for your unpaid wages. The MN Dept. of Labor has a template for such a request, which you can find here. If your employer still refuses to pay, then your next step would typically be to file a wage claim with the MN Dept. of Labor, which you can do by calling this number:(###) ###-#### The Dept. of Labor will then conduct an investigate and if they find that you are owed wages, they will issue an order to your employer to pay. See here for more information about the process I have just described.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup because this question was still open and I have not heard back from you. Was there anything more I can do to assist you? Did you get a chance to review my answer to your question? Please let me know....