Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My role has been made redundant and offered a settlement eg…

Customer Question
My role has been...

My role has been made redundant and offered a settlement eg bonus, shares and notice period paid out However they have added an additional non compete clause beyond the notice period but without pay. I work in a highly specialized area and opportunities with global companies that compete in the marketplace is my only option. Can this enforced or at least they pay me and put me on Garden leave if they wish to restrict my work

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes and was given the settlement and to my astonishment the additional clause

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Don’t belong to a union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The company have offered other employees made redundant 2 months plus 2 weeks per every year. I have been offered 3 weeks per year but no 2 months pay as they state am in a different country

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/19/2018
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I would have to review to determine enforceability but mos tcourtswill enforce a noncompete clause so long as it meets certain legal criteria and is reasonable in terms of scope and geographic region.