Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is an employee entitled to severance if there is a

Customer Question
Is an employee entitled...

Is an employee entitled to severance if there is a disciplinary charge?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the disciplinary action discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will and salaried

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have worked for a company for thirty years with a+ reviews and no issues. I have worked three years on a project without a vacation and snapped at my boss and a subordinate. I think I will be fired tomorrow and want to know if I am still entitled to a severance

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/18/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Regrettably, severance is not required under either state or federal law, regardless of whether or not there has been a disciplinary allegation. Employers created the concept of severance and so, whenever there is an obligation to pay it, that is based on a contractual obligation between employee and employer.

If you have no contract with your employer that expressly entitles you to severance, you are not entitled irrespective of there being a disciplinary issue.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer