Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was asked by my manager if I would like to become a

Customer Question
I was asked by...

I was asked by my manager if I would like to become a fulltime employee. I accepted. later I was taken off of the schedule and taken off of the schedule. and was told that I had to apply as a new hire, I contacted corp and was told that I would be given back my position, and that I would be reinstated to my position, now weeks later I am working under employees who were hired after I was and I still only am getting 11 to 13 hours. per week. I asked the manager why she told me that she have too many employees now. but just the other day she hired another employee. and i am not on the schedule for next week'

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this scheduling issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

With HR before I was reinstated. with the manager since reinststement.HR don't know what the manager is doing

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I work for dollar general. i applied online. I'm not sure.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was accused of no call no show. but i was given a printout of my schedule and didn't miss or was late for any work time. the time schedule was hand written in at the office. the one that is posted on the board.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/18/2018
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your post, will you please tell me what your legal question is? Also, what State do you work in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm in Oklahoma. I work at Dollar general. I was asked to become a full time employee. I accepted. Shortly after a costumer came into the store, while I was working the redgisiter,and th a loud voice Said " I don't want her checking me out" she made a scene. After she left. The manager asked what it was about. I told her, that that customer has been giving me and my boyfriend a hard time. I live in a small town. My boyfriend is a black man. We have been harrased by her and her husband. We have a procetive order against them. My manager said that she knows that customer. Shortly after that, I was taken off of the schedule for weeks. I then asked the manager what was going on. She said that I had to reapply as a new hire. I called Corp. And was told that I would be put back at my position without any loss. And they paid me for the time that I was off of the schedule. I returned to work to find out that the manager hired three other people and was told that I would have to go to another store to get the hours for full time. Now I only get 11-13 hour's per week.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would you email me please?

I am going to have to opt out of your question, as I am not available to continue with it today.

Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under OK law, employment is deemed to be at will. An at will employee may be hired/fired/demoted/promoted for no reason at all or for any reason not based ONLY on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. If the manager did this to you only because of your age, race, sex, disability, national origin, then you can make a complaint to the EEOC for discrimination. However, if the reason was a personal reason like you are describing, I am sorry to say that legally you cannot sue them over this and you have to accept the full time position at the other store.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As I thought. Thx .

Thank you for your reply.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney