Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I did some 1099 contract work last year. Was doing

restoration in Houston, and Key...
I did some 1099 contract work last year. Was doing restoration in Houston, and Key West FL., after Harvey and Irma hit. The man who hired me asked if i wanted to be paid every week or two weeks. I had asked him to hold onto it until i could open a bank account. Just give me enough of the per diem so i could eat. After the job was finished by mid October and I returned home. I have recieved 3 checks as a total of 3800 dollars since November 2017. Which is only 1/3 of what i am owed. Do i have any legal options to aquire the rest of what I am owed?
3/18/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Absolutely. A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!If needed, If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
That is acceptable. I also was wondering, is overtime pay something required to be paid over 40 hours per week, or is that at employer discretion. I dont know if it makes any difference, but i have been told i will lose in court because this man was the chief of police in his city of residence. The same city that has our county courthouse. He knows all of the local judges through his law enforcement days. That has given me much hesitation
Overtime applies to employees not contractors.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
Infolawyer, Lawyer