Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My daughter is a senior at a high school in Montana. She has…

My daughter is a...

My daughter is a senior at a high school in Montana. She has earned straight A's in all of her classes since 7th grade and she is on track to be the valedictorian. However, one of her teachers who has a reputation as a jerk who plays favorites has been giving my daughter poor grades including F's with irregular teaching practices. We have found well over 10 examples in which he has lowered her computer documented grades on her work when entering it in his grade tally. He has given her F's for missing class during excused absences. This is in violation of the school handbook that allows a day to make up work for each day of excused absence. Other teachers follow this policy in the school handbook. He also is not clear at times about what is expected and my daughter has received poor grades because of his irregular teaching practices. My daughter feels much stress and we are concerned about the effect of this stress on her health and grades in other classes. Is there anything that we can do legally to stop this teacher's irregular teaching practices that are harming our very hard working daughter who deserves an A in his class like she has received in every other class that she has taken since 7th grade?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MT lawyer about this?

Not yet, but we are seriously considering contacting an attorney. We have discussed this problem with the Principal and Superintendent, and we have a meeting with the Principal, the teacher, my wife, my daughter, and I scheduled for March 23rd. We are in the process of checking our options for stopping this abuse. We do not want to cause trouble for anybody, but we do not want this teacher to abuse and harm our daughter.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Nothing except for what is described in my previous entry.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We just want to know what can be done legally to fix this problem. Also, we are curious if his altering our daughters grades as documented in the computer can be considered a criminal offense.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your daughter's difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, at this time since you have spoken to the school and the Superintendent and nothing has been done to resolve the issue, your option would be to retain the services of a local Attorney who handles school/education issues to send a demand letter to the school to stop the teacher from abusing his position, or otherwise a lawsuit would be filed against the school to enforce your daughter's rights.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law