Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer owes me over $5600 in approved expenses. After…

My employer owes me...

My employer owes me over $5600 in approved expenses. After waiting a year I quit. How is this covered under either state (IA) or Federal law?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes with the company, yes with a lawyer who refered me to someone else.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes, I am at will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have documentation that the expenses were approved, I have documentation from one of the owners stating they owe me the money, and "payment will be forthcoming"

3/18/2018
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

What state are you in here?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Iowa

You can sue them in small claims here in Iowa up to $5k.

owa Small Claims Forms.
Information and forms to use in Iowa Small Claims cases suing for money damages or return of property. In a small claims case the amount in controversy is $5000 or less.

Legal Information - Small Claims Court - Consumer ... - Iowa Legal Aid

https://www.iowalegalaid.org/issues/consumer...small-claims-court/small-claims-court-1

I would sue here to get at least most of your money back plus filing fees.You do not need a lawyer here for small claims.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks and the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Employment lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know I can sue in small claims court, I am asking if there would be merit to move forward with a civil suite, and what law either state or federal that would support that.
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That was in my first line "How is this covered under either state (IA) or Federal law?"

Breach of oral and written contract.They owed you the expenses you incurred on their behalf.The documents support a contract here and they breached it by not paying you.

Forms

https://www.iowacourts.gov/for-the-public/representing-yourself/small-claims/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Once again, let me restate, I am not interested in small claims court, I want to know if this could be handled as a full civil proceeding.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am just trying to find out if there is enough merit to engage legal representation and try for any an all legal damages.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not want to settle in small claims court. The limit is too low.

You could sue here in higher court.I think you have a lot of merit here. They admit they owe you funds.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

Stars at top of page,thanks for rating..Have a good evening.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You too.

Bye for now.

Ray, Employment lawyer