Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm having ongoing health issues that are interfering with…

I'm having ongoing health issues...
I'm having ongoing health issues that are interfering with my job. I'm considering options to leave work or go on short term disability. The health issues are ibs 2 years, eosoniphilic esophigitis, and OCD and generalized anxiety. Do I have any options in regards ***** ***** payments or insurance?
3/18/2018
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. If your employer provides access to disability insurance (short term or long term) then the terms of the policy control whether or not you would qualify for that. Normally, if you have a physician that certifies that you cannot work due to one or more health conditions, then you would qualify for whatever short or long term insurance policy that you are covered by.

If you are asking also if you might qualify for Social Security disability (SSDI), then that too depends on whether or not your medical records support the notion that you can no longer engage in any gainful employment. You can read much more information about the requirements and the process by going to the following link: https://www.ssa.gov/disability/

After you have had a chance to read all of the information at the link, please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. I will be away from my computer for much of the day, but will respond as soon as I become available if you have follow up questions. Thank you

Marsha411JD, Lawyer