Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Looking for clarification on qualifying care of a parent. My…

Looking for clarification on...

Looking for clarification on qualifying care of a parent. My mom broke her hip. required surgery. Now in recovery. I would like to take time off to help her pay bills, install guard rails, provide Psycological support, take her to appointments. Are these valid?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

She lives in California, I live in Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

She had her surgery last Tuesday. Now in a care center. She should be there for about 2-4 weeks. then home. I would like to be able to spend 3 weeks helping here. I have just decided that I need to do this. Is it too late?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My company may have a layoff in about 1 week, This would also help me with more time to look for a new employer closer to my mom as well.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Are you asking if you can take fmla leave?
I want to make sure that I have 1)not waited too long 2) reason for the leave meets the requirement
Meets requirements and you can seek such leave. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I plan to apply for FMLA leave this Monday. I have not waited too long?
No, but I would not delay! Good luck. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
2 last questions- Is Psycholological Care in its self a valid reason for approval ? Does VA or CA law govern here?
1. Yes.
2 federal law. Family medical leave act.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
By Psycoloological I mean , me being there in person to help. That still covers the requirement. Correct?
If there is need for it then it qualifies. Employer will normally not get into specifics.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Thank you 5 Stars on its way !!
I have a couple of follow up questions if allowed.
I plan to file a FMLA request Monday morning. Plan on getting on a plane the next day.
Can they take more than a day to approve?
What happens if it is in approval limbo and I depart?
Is that grounds for termination?
It may take longer. You can ask them to expedite given urgency. It is not grounds for termination.
should I wait to book flight ?
Book it for Wednesday?
Hard to say. I would have the conversation with employer first.