Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was recently fired from a coaching job at a local high…

Customer Question
I was recently fired...

I was recently fired from a coaching job at a local high school for making 2 comments that they felt were innappropriate. I have been coaching for 42 years and never had any problems. I am in a couple of halls of fame and am totally dumbfounded by these accusations. What should I do. It is definitely affecting my health. I will be 70 years old in June. Can you help me? ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No I am a retired teacher of 37 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not know what an at will employee is and I do not belong to any unions any longer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have quite a few details that I would like to dis cuss but arthritis hurts to type

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/18/2018
Employment Lawyer: Cheryl Powell,
 replied 4 months ago
Cheryl Powell

What state do you teach in?

I am a retired teacher of 38 years 14 in Baltimore City and 24 in Anne Arundel County Maryland.
Employment Lawyer: Cheryl Powell,
 replied 4 months ago

Under Maryland employment laws, employment is generally presumed to be “at-will” unless otherwise stated in the employment contract. This means that employers may terminate employees for any reason or for no reason at all, as long as it is not illegal. Were you under contract, if so, what does your teaching contract state?

Employment Lawyer: Cheryl Powell,
 replied 4 months ago

Is there anything else I can help you with today?