Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was fired and accused of timecard fraud. will I still be…

I was fired...

I was fired and accused of timecard fraud. will I still be eligible for my last paychecks?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No it happen late yesterday

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No

3/18/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

Can you please tell me what state you are in? Also, is there any compelling evidence to support your employer's allegation? I very much look forward to assisting you on this matter.

Illinois. And there was a camera installed. I signed the timecard as a manager
No

Thank you. By "no" you mean that there is no compelling evidence of timecard fraud?

No sorry. I was answering if I wanted to call you.

Thank you. So then am I understanding correctly that there is video evidence to support your employer's allegation?

Thank you.

Illinois has very strict laws governing the circumstances in which deductions from an employee's earned wages will be permissible. An employer may not deduct for suspected theft unless the employee expressly consents to the deduction. They would need to file a lawsuit against the employee and obtain a judgment to collect what they believe they are owed.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Thank you

You are very welcome. Here is the statute you can reference to your employer.

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.