Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I've been working at the front desk of a hotel, and I'm

I've been working at...

I've been working at the front desk of a hotel, and I'm constantly being told to smile more by my supereriors to the point I feel it's harrasment. I try to smile and be happy all the time but it's not enough in their eyes, and I've been threatened of being fired over it. I guess my question is what should I do about this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this harassment issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I haven't discussed it with a lawyer. And its the manager that has threatened to fire me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No I'm not in a union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

3/17/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Is there sexual harassment or discrimination in how they approach the smiling?
No I don't think it's sexual, however it may be discrimatory, as I feel like I'm the only one being threatened in this way. I feel like I'm always smiling, polite, and happy. But I'm told daily that im not smiling enough. I don't see anyone else going through this.
You can complain to HR or have counsel do so based on disparate treatment.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Acceptable
Glad to hear it. Good luck!
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer