Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I started at Stoneham Bank on January 2, 2018, I was hired…

Customer Question
I started at Stoneham...

I started at Stoneham Bank on January 2, 2018, I was hired to do sales. My training was interrupted five times: one snow day, two holidays, and four days the trainer did not come in to train me, the IT department did not give me access to all the systems required to be trained on. It was a week and a half before I could sign in to use some of the systems that were required. I was required to complete over thirty compliance tests in 30 days from my hire date, however IT department did not give me access to the compliance test system for two weeks, so I was trying to take 8 to 10 tests a day, so I could complete the training within the 30 days.
I was requested to attend a meeting with my two supervisors on February 5, 2018 and was told that they had expected me to have 3 to 4 businesses accounts open as soon as I got there. This bank did not have a sales culture, having been in Banking for 20 years and doing very well at achieving my sales goals, I knew you could not get a business to change their bank after visiting them once. I researched and visited nine businesses to introduce myself and the bank. When they came in for a meeting with me on February 5, 2018 at 5:00 PM in the training room, I was told by Anna and Rhonda, that if I did not have 3 to 4 business accounts opened by Friday, they would have to terminate me. Rhonda (one of the supervisors even asked me if I was thinking of quitting. I tried to explain to them when you do cold calling on businesses you are not going to get a business to change their bank on the first visit. I told them even if you get an introduction to the business from a friend of the business owner, it takes at least three to four visits before they will make a bank change. I went to see Human Resources the next day at the end of my day and explained to Dawn, VP of Human Resources, what occurred in the meeting the previous day. I then ask Dawn if I should wait until Friday for them to fire me or if I should leave that day. Dawn handed me all the information for Unemployment benefits and said I could sign up to collect benefits. I knew in three days I would not be able to have 3 to 4 accounts opened by Friday. So, I told Dawn I would quit. I was under a lot of stress while I was trying to learn 5 new computer systems, I had never worked on these systems at the other three banks. I made over thirty cold calls to businesses to try and obtain appointments to visit them. At night at home I was researching businesses, so I could call them the next day. Rhonda also told me to I was trying to observe a couple of hours a day in the branch and go behind the teller line and train the employees on sales. take all the compliance tests, plus learning the benefits and features of the products the bank offered customers. I was humiliated by my supervisor Rhonda when she stated "I want you in the branch today observing, but I want you to assist customers and I will shadow you and help you through the five computer systems, which you have not been trained on, that you will need to assist Customers." I took my first customer and when I looked for Rhonda to help, she was no longer in the branch. I had to leave the customer and go to the teller line to find someone to help me. There were only three tellers and they had four customers waiting for them, plus the customers at drive-up. In my whole working career, I had never given poor customer service for lack of training. I felt the teller who had to help me left her customer unattended, and my customer who wanted to roll over a Certificate of Deposit that should normally take 10 minutes was in my office for over thirty minutes and I just kept apologizing to them. I have never felt so humiliated. I pride myself for giving for always giving exceptional service. At the other banks I worked at I was recognized for the exceptional customer service I gave. I gave this bank 110% as I had done throughout my career. I came in early and sometimes left late. I have

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I was denied unemployment benefits because I quit. I have asked for an appeal. My name is*****: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I believe all bank employees are at will employees

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think I told you everything.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/17/2018
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
what can I answer for you?
Will I be able to collect unemployment benefits , I am in my sixth week and they just sent me the denial letter Friday. I have 10 days from Friday to appeal.
You should. There is no valid ground to deny. You didn’t resign or terminated for cause.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.You may also try to negotiate for a severance. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Please cancel this I will call a local lawyer on Monday.
I am calling my bank and telling them to only allow the $5.00 charge.