Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Tina, If I'm salaried in California, but my boss is

Hi Tina, If I'm...

Hi Tina, If I'm salaried in California, but my boss is requiring me to work 12-14 hours on weekdays and on both weekends which could be an additional 12-14 hours per Saturday and Sunday, is that legal, even if it's a salaried employee?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I haven't. I was thinking of talking with HR to find out, but wanted to know if there isn't anything I can do about it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I don't belong to a union. I'm a Senior Instructional Designer, creating elearning courses, so I guess I'm at will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Hmm, thank you, Pearl. I'm not sure what else I should indicate, besides being highly stressed and overworked, and don't have time with my familiy due to this job.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

HI Loren, thank you for your help. Appreciated.

Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.

1. Do you have a written employment agreement for a fixed term requiring cause for termination, discipline or demotion?

2. Do you believe you are being treated differently than other employees due to your age, race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

Thank you, I'd prefer texting here please.

You may get an offer for a phone call at an extra charge. That offer is not being made by me (the site makes it automatically) and you are not required to accept it to proceed. I am happy to continue online with you.

Hi Loren, I don't have a fixed term - I'm a permanent full time employee. The treatment is happening for both of us in our department.
I don't think I have a written agreement, but I'd have to check. It's probably at will?
The company is housed in California

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Without a written employment contract requiring cause for demotion or termination, you are, under federal and CA law, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation, schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.

The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as office politics and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse directly with the employer.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, thank you so much. Good to know and appreciate your time. Very helpful and I think you're a great attorney. :-) As a former paralegal, I found your information concise and appreciated the attention to detail. Thank you for your honesty. Have a great day! Thank you, Therese

You are very welcome.

Thank you for your kind words. Best of luck to you.