Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was accused of stealing from my job a different clinic…

Customer Question
I was accused of...

I was accused of stealing from my job a different clinic than I work at item was a glass snowman. I was Even identified as the person on camera. That supposed incident happend 02/01/18. A man 100 bucks comes up missing where I actually do work and an investigation was launched. So last friday I was the last person to get interviewed out of 4-6 people. At the end on my investigation/questioning the investigator say well you were seen on camera stealing. I was confused. Im like no I wasn't. He was like yes it was you. So I started crying and told him to have my boss pull my punches and phone records. Then he emails me like oh you were right you were at work and I just seen the camera and that person looks nothing like you. Im gonna let HR know glad we were able to clear your name! So I'm like HR had in my file since 02/01/18 that I stole something that I never took? Im pissed. They didnt fire me or anything but they slandered my name and had me listed as a damn thief. Is there Anything I can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I told my boss I wanted to file a complaint

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/17/2018
Employment Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
I'm not quite following what your damages are in this case... you state that they thought you did it but they didn't fire you/demote you or punish you in any manner. Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They had the whole HR and security people labeling as a thief
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the man at safety came and told me I was a thief and it was on camera had me crying and embarrassed me at my job. It was noted in hr file that I was identified by somebody as the thief I was never even there
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they never even questioned me about this incident the only reason it came up is because someone stated that hr had money stolen from him. Then safety and security came at me like well it must be you since you stole the last time. I had to prove I was at work in another building on the First theft. I was labeled as a thief

I understand. It’s embarrassing and there’s probably nobody on the planet that wouldn’t be embarrassed in the same situation and I’d love to tell you it is actionable but it sounds like they had a genuine belief that it was you, they investigated and then determined that it wasn’t you. If you potentially find out that they had the video and didn’t view it while telling people in the company that you are a thief and that damaged your reputation with your coworkers you can potentially sue for defamation. It’s important to remember that with defamation there must be damages so if you can prove those it would be helpful. I just want you to know what you’re up against - I have an ethical obligation to let you know that. Please let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The 1st theft incident that was on video happened 02/01/18. I was supposedly identified as the theft. The patient that I was supposedly with they called that pt and ask to have the snowman brought back. It was returned. I never even knew nothing about this incident. I never knew I was identified as the thief of any thing. The only reason I found out was because of the new incident that happened the first week of march. They could not have done a rightful investigation for the 1st incident of I was never questioned. Somebody looked at the video like yes that's her. When the second thing happened that when there was a full complete Investigation that when I was notified that I stole something. The security man said it was you on camera the only reason we didn't do anything is because you had someone bring it back. I was floored so I told him he is wrong I was so upset.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I told them you can say I stole anything then man was like it was you so I went to my boss and had her pull my punches for that day then I got this emailJust as we expected, you were at work during the time of the snowman incident. It appears the woman in the video looks more like the person you described to me. I do not know how the person could have identified you as the person at the appointment, you do not look anything alike. I will also let HR know of my findings.I am sorry we had to have that conversation, but glad were able to clear your name and ID the correct person.  If there is anything else I can do let me know.Now this email came in march a full month after I had been wrongfully id'd as the criminal and labeled a theft from safety and security, HR and whoever looked at the video and said yes that's her

Give me just a sec to read what you wrote

Phone call session started
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney