Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have given my employer 4 weeks notice of my resignation,

Customer Question
Hi, I have given...

Hi, I have given my employer 4 weeks notice of my resignation, they have advised that they only need 2 weeks. my next position starts in 4 weeks as I had requested a 4 week window to wrap things up. they are not going to pay me for the other 2 weeks can you help?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

My previous company HR dept has advised my boss that this ok and the direction they should take is this legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Non union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I work for a federal government corproation

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/16/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

An employer does not legally have to work you through your notice period. Technically, when you give notice, you are immediately resigning and then offering the employer the right to an additional period of work from you. The employer is not obligated to accept that time and can release you, without pay for that time because you would not be working.

Because you gave a longer notice period, you can attempt to file for unemployment for the extra two weeks that the are not willing pay.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.