Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My ex employer wrote on indeed.com my comment on my annual…

Customer Question
My ex employer wrote...

My ex employer wrote on indeed.com my comment on my annual evaluation from 2014 because they did a mass lay off 10 days before christmas 2017 and there are so many really bad comments about this company so I believe they are using comments from evaluations to outway the bad comments being made about the company. my comment they miss read as it really was miss interpreted as they had poor management but that is not the point. Is that legal for them to do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I copied and pasted the comment to HR and said only HR and I know this was my comment and it was done after I was laid off and I did not do this and the response from the HR manager was that no one was to have any more emails with me anymore because there were 20 emails from me that were respectful however, asking for pay stubs for my severance package they were not giving me, cutting off my cobra, then they were supposed to pay my 12 weeks severance and cutting me off at 11 weeks which I pointed out to them and they realized they did that but refused to reimburse me that I obtained new insurance thinking I was paid for the 12 weeks of cobra and pay and they refused to reimburse me for the new insurance for the 2 weeks. Only to pay the 2 weeks more they made an error on the I caught they did not pay as they had in 12/17 labeled as severance when it was work time and PTO

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I in FL, right to work state, at will employee where employees have no rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are only confirming dates of work, I have an imminent job pending and I only copied my 2015 evaluation 2 out of 3 pages. the 3rd page has the signatures on it. The future employer wants it, the future employer is the VA Hospital, it takes months for them to hire you as you have to go through security, fingerprinting and an in depth work back ground. This may cause me from getting the position. The position is through a contractor for the VA

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/16/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

There is no confidentiality in employee reviews under the law, so it is not automatically illegal, no. If you had entered into mutual confidentiality agreements concerning the evals, then it could be a breach of contract.

Otherwise, you'd have to establish that the statements are false and have caused you harm. Then it would become a personal injury claim called defamation of character.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.