Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My question has to do with the rights of an employee. My…

Hello, my question has...

Hello, my question has to do with the rights of an employee. My husband works for a company that provides security, my husband has worked there almost two yearsworking for the school system. Here is the issue, I've been in and out of the hospital 4 times since Christmas. On March 111th, I came home from the hospital, put on new medication and my husband stayed home Monday to make sure I would not have any kind of problems. He called his dispatcher and supervisor within the 2 hour prior to start. Tuesday, he received a call from his supervisor stating that he would not be scheduled for the rest of the week pending a meeting with the owner on Friday. Friday has come and when he inquired about the meeting and picking up his check, he was notified then that the owner will be out of town and that he cannot pick up his check until at least Monday which means he won't be working. Can they hold his pay because the owner decided to to pick now to go out of town. We need his paycheck, what are our rights? Thank you for your quick response. My number is(###) ###-####sincerely ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this scheduling issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No, but they didn't seem to have an issue with him. Im mainly the reason for his absence he has never been told about HR nor if they even have one. Where do we go from here?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No Union , as far as "at' will he was never told that nor does he recall it anywhere in the application.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There probably is but I'm drawing a blank. He can ask any questions he needs and we will try to answer as best we can

3/17/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

They cannot hold his paycheck. That would be illegal. He needs to file complaint with your State Department of Labor for wage payment violation.

If you can give me the name of your State, I will be able to provide you the contact information for wage claim.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We live in the state of Michigan, thank you for your help
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Mr. Philips, am I still able to ask a question about my husbands job, or do I have to pay another payment. If so thank you for time and I will try to find resources elsewhere.

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Yes, you can ask follow-up question regarding the initial issue at no additional cost.

I await your response.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law