Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a pharmacist 61 years old. I am a floater for Publix…

I am a pharmacist...

I am a pharmacist 61 years old. I am a floater for Publix pharmacy which means I fill in for absences, sickness, vacations of pharmacist. However, when I was first hired, in 2011, I was to be either placed in a store permanently, or float. The district included Florida panhandle and Deep South Georgia. After 4 years of floating in Florida panhandle and South Georgia, I let my Georgia license lapse. I said I was not interviewed to work in Georgia. My then district manager put me in a store as a manager of a Publix pharmacy. I did a great job in lowering inventory. But, the original supervisor was replaced by my current supervisor, Ryan. Ryan knows I hold an Alabama and Florida pharmacy license and the district changed so that his territory no longer included S. Georgia but Florida panhandle and S Alabama. So, Ryan said I had a choice to either make the pharmacy see growth from 1300 scripts per weekI had back surgery in December. I took 8 weeks loa. When I returned to work in Jan, I was scheduled to work locally for about 1 month. Then they began sending me out....to Alabama....driving long distances. During this month, I will have to work all but 3 workdays approx*****away one way. They place me in a hotel and pay for meals up to $32 per day.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this scheduling issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Ok....here is where the problem begins for me.....I think Ryan wants to fire me.... I went to my doctor yesterday and complained about the numbing of my arms and hands while driving. He wrote a note RECOMMEND PATIENT REFRAIN FROM DRIVING OVER 45 MILES ONE WAY. So, I told Ryan...my manager.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes...When I told Ryan, he was nice; but said he would check with HR to plan and get back to me soon. Today, I receive an email that he wants to meet me for evaluation....which is not an annual date. I replied I would be there...

3/16/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
what can I answer for you?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have you read my summary?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The facts are there. I cannot pay any additional amount.
I am not clear though what you are asking relative to the facts.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to show you how much he dislikes me....he placed me on suspension 18 months ago when I was pharmacy manager. He told me I needed to hurry and hire someone, so I chose an applicant. However, the phone number did not work; so I went to his home and told him he would be given an interview. Ryan told me that was not acceptable and put me on one week suspension without pay.
Also, last Fall, I had spent $2000 in travel expenses and asked him to return my money.....but kept putting me off. After 2 months, I contacted HR and was refunded my $ in less than 1 week.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please help me....I cannot spend $59 additional. What should I do? Do I need to request another lawyer that will type a reply?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK....I think he may find a trumped up excuse to fire me......as he did to take me out of the store......Is that ample info? The only rule I have broken is playing music of my own while at work.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my question is: Can my doctor make that recommendation and it be acceptible to my company? The scheduler said it really puts her in a difficult position because she does not have anyone to work in the far off places. And, she also says it does not comply with the description of my job....which is to float in Florida and Alabama.
;
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that clear for you relative to facts?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a recommendation.......can I call them back and say I will ignore the recommendation? Is it better for me to quit or be terminated by Publix?
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be further assisting you with your post.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Questions:

So, my question is: Can my doctor make that recommendation and it be acceptible to my company?

Response 1: Unfortunately, your doctor can make the recommendation. However, the company does not have to accept it unless the recommendation comes from the company's own doctors.

It is a recommendation.......can I call them back and say I will ignore the recommendation?

Response 2: You really should not do that. You should heed the advice of your own doctor that the long driving is taking a toll on your health.

Is it better for me to quit or be terminated by Publix?

Response 3: Quitting would be better on your resume--on paper. However and in actuality, the company may defeat this purpose by marking you as "not to rehire," which wrongfully alerts potential employers not to hire you because you are a bad employee. Also, quitting would prevent you from being eligible for unemployment compensation although you can certainly argue that you were forced to quit. So, in the final analysis, it may be better for you to stay put until you are terminated.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law