Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had an accident at work and prior to going to the hospital…

Customer Question
I had an accident...

I had an accident at work and prior to going to the hospital I notified my supervisor, my store manager, that if I were tested it would come back as hot for marijuana. I was not under the influence at the time of the accident but they chose to test me with a urine test not a blood test which of course came back positive since it had been less than 30 days from when I inhaled. The company guideline states that I could be discipline, up to terminated. Others in the company have violated other rules that call for immediate dismissal and yet these employees are still employed with the company. Do I have any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I'm searching for a lawyer. I filed for unemployment and was denied and have a hearing coming up. My immediate supervisor and his supervisor are trying on their end to get me rehired but so far nothing has happened.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure. I can provide you or him with the information on the other issues that have been overlooked. not sure what else I need to provide.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/16/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Have others come back positive on a drug test following a workplace accident?

How do you differ from these others? Race, religion, gender, age (over 40), disability or recent FMLA use?

Don't know
I don't have any money to do this, I am unemployed. Thanks, ***** ***** this now!

Take care.