Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am trying to learn if my former employer can enforce my…

I am trying to...

I am trying to learn if my former employer can enforce my non-compete against me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the non-compete agreement with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I have not discussed the non-compete with anybody.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

My employment is at will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I received a letter from my former employer's outside counsel requesting where I am working now and asking me to send in writing that I will comply with the terms of my non compete.

The supporting documents are attached. The agreement is governed by Connecticut law.
https://www.law360.com/articles/847797/thomson-reuters-seeks-to-enforce-sales-pro-s-noncompeteI also found this article which contains the same wording as my non-compete
3/16/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Are any clients leaving?
I have had no interaction with any of the Clarivate clients since I've began my new position. In fact, it is agreed with my current employer, that if a client becomes an area of concern for me, I will not work with that client.
Ok. With that information I do not see reason for concern. The provisions are overbroad and not likely to be pursued let alone enforced.Non Non competes are rarely enforced. they need to be very limited in time and space. unless a few miles and months will typically fail. Most employers wont even pursue it and clients are free to choose for themselves!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”

awaiting your reply, thank you

Sorry about that. Yes, it was acceptable and your opinion was reinforced by other attorneys as well. Thank you.
Thanks. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer