Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm a retired federal employee getting ready to file

Customer Question
I'm a retired federal...

I'm a retired federal employee getting ready to file discrimination suit against the Navy/EEOC and I'm looking for legal assistance. I received my right to sue notice from EEOC in December.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discrimination issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I've gone through the admin complaint process. This complaint was initially filed in 2013. I have exhausted the administative process and I have prepared the paperwork to file. It's a case I know I will need legal assistance with but I will go pro se.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does the employee belong to a union?

I am a retired federal employee. I was the president of AFGE Local 1943 at FRCSE Jacksonville. I had requested assistance from the National but they've shown no interest.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The complaint is non-selection for promotion based on race, age and reprisal. The agency established details/temporary promotions as a prerequisite for career advancement and excluded me from \these rotations.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/16/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us about your situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have two cases of non-selection I pursuing. The selectee for one of the was a white male, under the age of 40 who was the recipient of an undocumented detail. He claimed two years of experience on his application as the IPT team lead in a position that wasn't formally established until it was advertised as a promotion. Under federal law assignments that exceed 30 days meet the statutory definition for a detail. Details that exceed 120 days must be advertised and competed and require a SF 50 personnel to validate the detail. His application didn't provide it and the Agency refused to present or acknowledge there wasn't one which violates 5 CFR 335.103 (Promotion/Internal Placement). I filed a complaint and the Navy narrowed the scope of its investigation to exclude review of the governing regulation 5 CFR 335 to avoid having to address prohibited personnel practices to facilitate discriminatory actions engaged in by management. The Navy has proclaimed they don't recognize prohibited personnel practices committed by their management under 5 USC 2302 (b) to avoid having to acknowledge and resolve them under 5 USC 2302 (c). The Navy has used a settlement agreement to exclude me from rotational assignments after establishing the use of these details and temporary promotions as a prerequisite for further career advancement beyond the GS-13 level for the past 15 years. I have exhausted the administrative process and I'm ready to file sue. I need an attorney.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand, but pursuant to state law, we are forbidden from representing anyone from this site, as was explained in the terms of service.

We can answer specific questions you may have, but you need to ask them.

Tina, Lawyer